I’m not particularly sure how to introduce this post without sounding like a page out of some ‘life tips’ book so here is a list of 20 things I’ve learned by the age of 20. Not exactly groundbreaking wisdom, just some general life observations that are potentially mildly interesting.
1. You absolutely cannot please everyone and you shouldn’t try to. Not ever. I have wasted so much time trying to please people who, in hindsight, did not deserve an ounce of my time. If people don’t appreciate you, don’t waste your time on them.
2. Learning how to cut people off is hard but so gratifying when you grow the balls to actually do it. Negative and toxic people are only there to hold you back and bring you down. It is okay to outgrow people and it is okay to leave people behind.
3. Mixing white wine and red wine does not equal rosé wine. I hate 17 year old me.
4. It is absolutely okay to not know what it is you want to do with your life. I’m 20 and I can’t decide what to have for lunch at uni every day so there’s that. Don’t feel like you have to have a plan. Things will fall into place if you let them.
5. There is nothing more satisfying than taking your bra off at the end of the day.
6. People care too much. I know too many people that give too many fucks about too many things. It’s okay not to care, sometimes.
7. Normal pot noodles are too small but King Pot Noodles are too big.
8. Retail therapy is an actual thing. There is nothing quite like having a bad day and curing it with a somewhat justifiable ASOS splurge. I’m telling you.
9. People who don’t speak to you for months and then stick their head out of the woodwork trying to make you pander to them again are not worth your time.
10. Sims 2 will always be addictive, even if it is only for 1 week during your holidays. Making the most stunning house for you and your partner (defo the person you fancy) and then drowning one of them in the swimming pool will always be funny. ALWAYS.
11. You will always question just about everything you did/wore from ages 13-17. Why why whyyy?
12. Travel as much and as often as you can. It doesn’t have to be far but it is almost always fun and the best way to ‘grow as a person’ (horrendous phrase) and become independent.
13. Making your own decisions is one of the most important things in the world. There are too many people out there that try to impose things upon others and tell them do do certain things certain ways. You won’t get anywhere you want to be by having other people make your decisions for you.
14. My mum is mostly, usually always right.
15. Reading is actually enjoyable if you find time to realise what it is that you like reading. It’s not just something your high school teachers bullied you into on a daily basis.
16. Bath bombs containing glitter are the worst. Who wants to get out of a relaxing bath and have to clean the bath? Furthermore, who wants to walk around like a big sparkly idiot? Not me.
17. The better the foods you put in your body, the better you feel. Eat shit, feel shit.
18. Holding grudges is a waste of your time. The longer you hold on to negativity, the more bothersome it becomes. Let it go. Holding on to negativity only holds you back from enjoying positivity. It’s okay to be angry over something for a little while but don’t let it consume you.
19. The book will always be better than the film.
20. I’m no longer a teenager and adulting is hard work.